I am an Associate Professor of Medical Biology and Genetics at Gaziantep University and also the head of the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics. My work focuses especially on epigenetics, neurogenetics, transgenic, bioengineering, cytogenetics and Human Molecular Genetics.
- aYılmaz SG, Bozkurt H, Ndadza A, Thomford E, Karaoğlan M, Keskin M, Benlier N, Dandara C. Childhood Obesity Risk in Relationship to Perilipin 1 (PLIN1) Gene Regulation by Circulating microRNAs. OMICS: A Journal of Integrative Biology, 24;1, 2020.
- Erdal ME, Yılmaz SG, Gürgül S, Uzun C, Derici D, Erdal N. miRNA expression profile is altered differentially in the rat brain compared to blood after experimental exposure to 50 Hz and 1 mT electromagnetic field. Prog Biophys Mol Biol. 132: 35-42, 2017.
- Turkseven CH, Buyukakilli B, Balli E, Yetkin D, Erdal ME, Yılmaz SG, Sahin L. Effects of Huperzin-A on the Beta-amyloid accumulation in the brain and skeletal muscle cells of a rat model for Alzheimer's disease. Life Sci. 1;184: 47-57, 2017.
- Yılmaz SG, Llerena A, De Andre ´s F, Karakas Ü, Gündoğar H, Erciyas K, Kimyon S, Mete A, Güngör K, Özdemir V. (2017). Water pipe (Shisha, Hookah, Arghile) Smoking and Secondhand Tobacco Smoke Effects on CYP1A2 and CYP2A6 Phenotypes as Measured by Caffeine Urine Test. OMICS A Journal of Integrative Biology. 21(3):1-6. Özdemir V, Dove ES, Gürsoy UK, Sardaş S, Yıldırım A, Yılmaz SG, Barlas İÖ, Güngör K, Mete A, Srivastava S. (2017).
- Personalized medicine beyond genomics: alternative futures in big data—proteomics, environtome and the social proteome. Journal of Neural Transmission (Vienna). 124(1):25-32. Turkseven CH, Buyukakilli B, Balli E, Yetkin D, Erdal ME, Yılmaz SG, Sahin L. (2017).
- Effects of Huperzin-A on the Beta-amyloid accumulation in the brain and skeletal muscle cells of a rat model for Alzheimer's disease. Life Science. 1(184):47-57. Erdal ME, Yılmaz SG, Gürgül S, Uzun C, Derici D, Erdal N. (2017).
- miRNA expression profile is altered differentially in the rat brain compared to blood after experimental exposure to 50 Hz and 1 mT electromagnetic field. Progress Biophysics Molecular Biology.132:35-42. Ozturk O, Basay BK, Buber A, Basay O, Alacam H, Bacanlı A, Yılmaz SG, Mehmet Emin Erdal, Hasan Herken, and Eyup Sabri Ercan. (2016).
- Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor Gene Val66Met Polymorphism Is a Risk Factor for Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in a Turkish Sample. Psychiatry Investigation (Korean Nuropsychiatric Association). 13(5):518–525. Erdal ME, Yılmaz SG. (2016).
- microRNA Studies and Reflection to Psychiatry. Turkiye Klinikleri J Psychiatry-Special Topics. 9(1):16-24. Yılmaz SG, Geyik S, Neyal AM, Soko N, Bozkurt H, Dandara C. (2016).
- Hypothesis: Do miRNAs Targeting the Leucine-Rich Repeat Kinase 2 Gene (LRRK2) Influence Parkinson’s Disease Susceptibility? OMICS A Journal of Integrative Biology. 20(4): 224-228. Başay Ö, Kabukcu Basay B, Alacam H, Ozturk O, Buber A, Yılmaz SG, Kıroğlu Y, Erdal ME, Herken H. (2016).
- The impact of synapsin III gene on the neurometabolite level alterations after single-dose methylphenidate in attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder patients. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment. 2016(12):1141-1149. Yılmaz SG, Erdal ME, Özge AA, Sungur MA. (2016).
- Can Peripheral MicroRNA Expression Data Serve as Epigenomic (Upstream) Biomarkers of Alzheimer’s Disease? OMICS A Journal of Integrative Biology. 20(8):456-461. Sarsu SB, Yılmaz SG, Bayram A, Dalkilic S. (2016).
- NOD2/CARD15 rs2066845 polymorphism in children with acute appendicitis. Current Paediatric Research. 20(1&2): 145-150. Yılmaz SG, Erdal ME, Özge AA, Sungur MA. (2016).
- SNP Variation in MicroRNA Biogenesis Pathway Genes as a New Innovation Strategy for Alzheimer Disease Diagnostics. Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders. 30(3):203-9. Gedik H, Erdal ME, Yılmaz SG, Cem S, Balci SG, Herken H. (2015).
- Association of microRNA Biogenesis Pathway Gene Variants and Alcohol Dependence Risk. DNA and Cell Biology. 34(3):220-226. Daşdağ S, Akdağ MZ, Erdal ME, Erdal N, Ay Öİ, Ay ME, Yılmaz SG, Taşdelen B, Yeğin K. (2015).
- Effects of 2.4 GHz Radiofrequency Radiation Emitted from Wi-Fi Equipment on microRNA Expression in Brain Tissue. International Journal of Radiation Biology. 91(7):555-561. Terzi E, Bulut B, Tursen U, Kaya TI, Tursen B, Erdal ME, Yılmaz SG. (2015).
- Microchimerism in Alopecia Areata. International Journal of Dermatology. 54(11): e448-e452. Sen A, Arslan M, Erdal ME, Ay Öİ, Yılmaz SG, Kurt E, Arpaci B. (2015).
- Lack of Associations Between CLU and PICALM Gene Polymorphisms and Alzheimer’s Disease in a Turkish Population. Lege Artis Medicinae. 68(3-4):113-120. Kandemir H, Erdal ME, Selek S, Ay Öİ, Karababa İF, Ay ME, Kandemir SB, Yılmaz SG, Ekinci S, Taşdelen B, Bayazit H. (2015).
- Microribonucleic acid dysregulations in children and adolescents with obsessive–compulsive disorder. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment. 14(11):1695-1701. Sarsu SB, Yılmaz SG, Bayram A, Denk A, Kargun K, Sungur MA. (2015).
- Polymorphisms in the IL-6 and IL-6R receptor genes as new diagnostic biomarkers of acute appendicitis: a study on two candidate genes in pediatric patients with acute appendicitis. Italian Journal of Pediatrics. 29(41):100. Dasdag S, Akdag MZ, Erdal ME, Erdal N, Ay OI, Ay ME, Yılmaz SG, Tasdelen B, Yegin K. (2015).
- Long term and excessive use of 900 MHz radiofrequency radiation alter microrna expression in brain. International Journal of Radiation Biology. 91(4):306-11. Kandemir H, Erdal ME, Selek S, Ay Öİ, Karababa İF, Ay ME, Kandemir SB, Yılmaz SG, Ekinci S, Taşdelen B. (2014).
- Evaluation of several microRNA (miRNA) levels in children and adolescents with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Neuroscience letters. 19(580):158-162. Yıldız M, Vural M, Erdal ME, Ay Öİ, Yılmaz SG, Karababa İF, Selek S. (2014).
- No association of DRD3 and CNR1 polymorphisms between prementstrual dysphoric disorders. Iranian Journal of Reproductive Medicine. 13(4):221-226. Dai Aİ, Bay A, Gorucu S, Sivasli E, Bosnak M. (2011).
- KCNJ10 potassium ion channel single nucleotide polymorphism in pediatric patients with idiopathic generalized epilepsy A study from Turkey. Neurology, Psychiatry and Brain Research. 17(1):32–35. Isir AB, Dai AI, Nacak M, Gorucu S. (2010).
- The Lack of Significant Association of the Catechol-O-Methyl Transferase (COMT) Gene Polymorphism in Violent Offenders with Mental Retardation. Journal of Forensic Sciences. 55(1):225-228. Isir AB, Oguzkan S, Nacak M, Gorucu S, Dulger HE, Arslan A. (2008).
- The Catechol-O-Methyl Transferase Val158Met Polymorphism and Susceptibility to Cannabis Dependence. Amerıcan Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology. 29(4):320-322. Oguzkan S, Dai A, Gogebakan B, Kiris N, Yılmaz SG, Igci M, Arslan A. (2006).
- Analysis of two recurrent mutations in ARX gene in epilepsy patients associated with mental retardation. Neurology Psychiatry and Brain Research. 13(3):205-208. Demiryurek S, Savas HA, Igci M, Herken H, Gorucu S, Kara AF, Selek S, Oguzkan S, Bulbul F, Arslan A, Demiryurek AT. (2006).
- Association between the 196G > A (VAL66 MET) and -1360C > T (C-270T) polymorphisms of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene and bipolar disorder. Neurology, Psychiatry and Brain Research. 13(3):125-130. Ozkur M, Erbagci Z, Nacak M, Tuncel A, Gorucu S, Aynacioglu AS. (2004).
- Association of the Arg16Gly polymorphism of the beta-2-adrenergic receptor with psoriasis. Journal of Dermatological Science. 35(2):162-4. Çakmak EA, Çataloluk O, Yoldaş T, Arslan A, Herken H, Barlas Ö, Gorucu S, Yiğiter R. (2003).
- Migraine and angiotensin-converting enzyme association in Turkish patients. The Pain Clinic. 15(4):473-477. Erdal ME, Erdal N, Barlas İÖ, Gorucu S. (2000).
- Molecular Analysis of K-Ras Oncogenin in Subjects Exposed to Electromagnetic Fields. Journal of Mersin University Medical Faculty, 1(2):107-112.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Medical Biology and Genetics, 2007-2013 Mersin University, Faculty of Medicine Master of Science (M.Sc) in Medical Biology, 1999-2001 Gaziantep University, Faculty of Medicine Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Medical Biology and Genetics, 1994-1998 Mersin University, Faculty of Science
In addition to my thesis research, other areas that interest me for my future research stem from my goal of developing new RNA and DNA based genome editing. One of the studies that I have started is the development of methylation editing via CRISPR. I have also worked on evaluation and improvement of Alzheimer’s Disease symptoms in rat models.
HONORS AND AWARDS
TÜBİTAK broadcast incentive award
University of Cape Town, Division of Human Genetics Virginia Commonwealth UniversityIntegrative Life Sciences